Wednesday, 7 August 2019

How to Get Free Money from the Government

Most of the time, we are used to paying the government via taxes. However, that’s not always the case. Here are a few ways that you get free money from Uncle Sam.


This is a website set up by the National Association of State Treasurers as a way to connect U.S. residents with “forgotten” money. Think of things like old security deposits on apartments and utilities, uncollected insurance reimbursements, account credits that were never used, that sort of thing.


This is a similar site to works by “thoroughly searching all participating states to find your family’s missing, lost, and unclaimed property, money, and assets.” It doesn’t hurt to check.

3. Federal Pell Grant for Education

College doesn’t appear to be getting cheaper any time soon. If you need help paying for college, scholarships are one option. But did you know that there are many educational grants from the government as well? Unlike student loans, grant money doesn’t have to be repaid.

A Federal Pell Grant can offer as much as $6,195 (2019-20 school year) to students for each year that they qualify. Qualifications are based on income, cost of attendance, and other factors. You can learn more at the Federal Student Aid website.

4. Child Care and Development Fund

If you’re having a hard time covering child care expenses, there might be some government assistance available to you. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has a directory of state and local contacts you can check out to see about getting help with childcare costs.

5. Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program

According to the U.S. Department of Energy, the average U.S. family spends at least $2,200 per year on energy bills. Nearly half of that goes towards heating and cooling. Depending on where you live and your income level, the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP, for short) may be able to help you cover those costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment